Following the hustle and bustle of Christmas and the introduction of a New Year, January feels like the slowest moving, not to mention grayest months of the year. Especially in the Midwest. So this year, to prepare myself for the slowing pace of winter, I created a list of ways to fill my nest with warmth and some much-needed comfort. You might find my ideas interesting too:
- Place a couple of pillows and afghan on your sofa to wrap up in.
- Set some flameless candles around the house, on a mantle or bookshelves. They can easily be placed on a timer to create a warm glow when the day turns to night.
- Start a gratitude journal in order to keep track of all your blessings.
- Take time to prepare and enjoy a hot cup of tea or hot water with lemon and honey. Be sure to inhale the fragrance as you relax, it is very comforting.
- Give yourself a pedicure or manicure (or both!).
- Sit down with a good book and savor the pages. It is good for the soul and imagination.
- Pop some corn and watch a favorite movie or two.
- Start a fire in the fireplace, prop your feet up and listen to the logs pop and crackle while enjoying a favorite beverage.
- Put on some upbeat music and dance like no one is watching!
- Take a long, hot bath. Add Epsom salts and lavender oil to detox and relax further.
- Take a long nap under a nice warm blanket.
I hope you enjoyed my list of ideas. Pencil in some you time. You will not be sorry! After-all, if you are going to be effective at taking care of those you love you must first take care of yourself. If you have ever flown, it is very much like the instructions you are given regarding the oxygen mask. Who is instructed to put the mask on first? You. So, pencil in time for you. You are worth it.